Spain is a country that has something to offer for every type of traveller, including families.
From beautiful beaches to bustling cities, Spain is a perfect destination for families looking for a fun-filled and exciting vacation.
While Spain is an excellent choice for families for countless reasons, we have compiled a list of the top 9 reasons Spain should be on every family’s travel bucket list.
Firstly, Spain is a very family-friendly country. The Spanish culture is known for its warm and welcoming nature, making it easy for families to feel at home.
Additionally, plenty of attractions, such as amusement parks, zoos, and museums, cater to families.
Spain is also a safe country, with low crime rates, making it a stress-free destination for families.
Secondly, Spain is a country that offers a diverse range of experiences.
Families can enjoy the beautiful beaches of the Costa del Sol, explore the vibrant cities of Barcelona and Madrid, or visit the historic towns of Andalusia.
With so much to see and do, families will surely find something that everyone will enjoy. So, without further ado, here are the top reasons Spain is an excellent choice for families.
Spain is a very accessible country for families, making it an ideal destination for those traveling with children. Here are two reasons why:
Getting around Spain is easy, thanks to its modern and efficient transportation system. Families can choose from a variety of options, including:
- Trains: Spain has an extensive railway network that connects most major cities and towns. Trains are clean, comfortable, and affordable, making them a great option for families.
- Buses: Buses are another popular mode of transportation in Spain. They are generally cheaper than trains and also offer a wide range of routes and schedules.
- Taxis: Taxis are widely available in most Spanish cities and are a convenient way to get around, especially if you’re traveling with young children or lots of luggage.
- Rental Cars: If you prefer to have your own transportation, rental cars are readily available in Spain. However, keep in mind that parking can be difficult in some cities, and driving in busy areas can be stressful.
2. Low Language Barrier
One of the biggest concerns for families travelling to a foreign country is often the language barrier.
However, in Spain, this is not a major issue. Spanish is the official language, and most people speak at least some English, especially in tourist areas.
Additionally, many signs and menus are available in Spanish and English, making it easy to navigate and order food.
Spain offers a wide range of hotels that cater to families.
Many hotels have family rooms that can accommodate up to four people, and some even have suites that can sleep six or more.
Family-friendly hotels often have amenities such as swimming pools, kids’ clubs, and play areas, making them an ideal choice for families with children.
Some of the best family-friendly hotels in Spain include:
- Barceló Marbella – located on the Costa del Sol, this hotel has a kids’ club, playground, and mini-golf course.
- Princess Soly Mar – situated in Torremolinos, this hotel has a pool, children’s pool, and a kids’ club.
- AC Hotel Coslada Aeropuerto – located near Madrid’s airport- has family rooms and a children’s menu in the restaurant.
Renting an apartment can be an excellent option for families, especially those with younger children.
Apartments often have more space than a hotel room and may have a kitchen or kitchenette, allowing families to prepare meals and snacks.
Many apartments also have washing machines, which can be a lifesaver when travelling with kids.
Some of the best family-friendly apartments in Spain include:
- Family-friendly apartment in Barcelona – this two-bedroom apartment is located in the heart of Barcelona and has a kitchen and washing machine.
- Apartment Playa del Ingles – situated in Gran Canaria, this apartment has a pool and is just a short walk from the beach.
- Family-friendly apartment in Valencia – this two-bedroom apartment has a balcony and is located in a quiet neighbourhood, perfect for families.
Spain is known for its family-friendly restaurants, where children are always welcome.
Most restaurants offer a children’s menu with smaller portions and simpler dishes, as well as high chairs and booster seats for younger children.
Many restaurants also have outdoor seating areas where children can play while parents enjoy their meals. Some popular family-friendly restaurants in Spain include:
- La Tagliatella
- Foster’s Hollywood
- La Sureña
Spain is famous for its delicious and diverse cuisine, which varies by region.
Families can enjoy traditional dishes such as paella, tortilla española, and churros con chocolate.
In addition, many regions have their own unique specialties, such as:
Families can also visit local markets and grocery stores to try fresh produce and other ingredients used in Spanish cuisine.
This can be a fun and educational experience for children, who can learn about different foods and how they are used in cooking.
Spain’s family-friendly restaurants and diverse cuisine make it a great destination for families who love to eat and explore new foods.
Spain boasts some of the most beautiful beaches in Europe, making it the perfect destination for families who love to soak up the sun and play in the sand.
The beaches in Spain are well-maintained and offer a range of activities such as swimming, surfing, and beach volleyball.
Some of the most popular beaches in Spain include Playa de la Concha, Playa de la Malvarrosa, and Playa de la Barceloneta.
Spain is home to some of the best theme parks in Europe, offering a range of rides and attractions for all ages.
Some of the most popular theme parks in Spain include PortAventura World, Terra Mitica, and Parque Warner Madrid.
These theme parks offer thrilling rides, water parks, and live shows that are sure to keep the whole family entertained.
Museums and Galleries
Spain is rich in history and culture, making it the perfect destination for families who love to explore museums and galleries.
Some of the most popular museums and galleries in Spain include the Prado Museum, the Picasso Museum, and the Guggenheim Museum.
These museums offer a range of exhibitions and activities that are perfect for families.
Zoos and Aquariums
Spain is home to some of the most amazing zoos and aquariums in Europe.
Families can enjoy a day out at the Madrid Zoo and Aquarium, the Barcelona Zoo, or the Valencia Bioparc.
These attractions offer a range of animals and sea life that are sure to fascinate children and adults alike.
Spain is considered a safe country to travel to providing you take precautions.
Here are a few things to keep in mind to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip:
- Be aware of pickpockets, especially in crowded tourist areas. Keep your valuables close to you and avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- When driving, be aware of the local traffic laws and customs. Spanish drivers can be aggressive, so it’s important to drive defensively.
- Spain has a high level of healthcare, with both public and private hospitals available. Make sure you have adequate travel insurance to cover any medical emergencies.
- Spain has a low crime rate, but it’s always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings and take precautions to stay safe.
- Emergency services in Spain can be reached by dialling 112.
Overall, Spain is a safe and welcoming destination for families, but it’s always important to take precautions and be aware of your surroundings.
Spain is known for its sunny weather, making it a perfect destination for families looking to escape cold and dreary climates.
With over 300 days of sunshine per year, families can enjoy outdoor activities and explore Spain’s beautiful landscapes without worrying about the weather.
During the summer months, most of Spain is hot, sunny, and dry, allowing families to make the most of beaches, outdoor terraces, and hiking in the mountains.
In spring and autumn, the weather is a bit cooler, but families can still enjoy outdoor activities while wearing a light jacket or sweater.
In addition to the sunny weather, Spain also offers a pleasant Mediterranean climate, with mild winters and warm summers.
This means families can enjoy the outdoors and explore Spain’s cities and towns year round.
Spain’s weather is also perfect for enjoying outdoor festivals and events which take place throughout the year.
From the famous La Tomatina festival to the Running of the Bulls, families can experience Spain’s unique culture and traditions while enjoying the beautiful weather.
Spain’s sunny and mild climate makes it a perfect destination for families enjoying outdoor activities and exploring the country’s beautiful landscapes and cities.
8. Culture and History
Spain is rich in history and culture, making it an excellent destination for families who want to learn and experience new things.
Here are some reasons why Spain’s culture and history make it an excellent place for families to visit:
- Spain has a long and fascinating history that spans thousands of years. From the Roman Empire to the Moors to the Spanish Inquisition, there is no shortage of historical sites and landmarks to explore.
- The country is home to some of the most famous museums and art galleries in the world, including the Prado Museum in Madrid and the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. These institutions offer a wealth of educational opportunities for families.
- Spain is known for its vibrant and colourful festivals, which take place throughout the year. These events provide a unique insight into Spanish culture, from the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona to La Tomatina in Buñol.
- Spanish is one of the most widely spoken in the world, making it an excellent place for families to learn and practice their language skills.
- Spain is home to some of the most stunning and well-preserved architecture in the world, including the Alhambra in Granada and the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. These buildings offer a glimpse into Spain’s past and will leave a lasting impression on visitors.
Overall, Spain’s rich history and culture provide families with a unique and educational travel experience.
From exploring ancient landmarks to attending colourful festivals, there is no shortage of things to see and do in this fascinating country.
9. Value for Money
Spain is an affordable country for families to live and visit.
The cost of living is low compared to other European countries, which makes it a great destination for budget travelers.
Here are some examples of how families can save money in Spain:
- Accommodation: Renting a holiday home or apartment in Spain is often cheaper than staying in a hotel. There are many options available on websites like Airbnb and HomeAway.
- Food: Eating out in Spain is relatively inexpensive, and many affordable options exist for families. Tapas bars and local markets offer various delicious and affordable food.
- Transportation: Public transportation in Spain is efficient and affordable. Families can save money by using buses and trains to get around instead of renting a car.
Spain also offers great value for families looking to buy a home.
The country has a wide range of affordable properties, from city apartments to coastal villas. The cost of living in Spain is also low, which means families can enjoy a high quality of life without breaking the bank.
Overall, Spain is a great destination for families looking for value for money.
With affordable accommodation, food, and transportation, families can enjoy all that Spain has to offer without spending a fortune.
In conclusion, Spain is an excellent destination for families looking for a fun and enriching vacation.
With its rich history, diverse culture, beautiful beaches, delicious food, and friendly locals, Spain has something to offer for everyone.
Whether you’re looking for adventure, relaxation, or education, Spain has it all.
So pack your bags, grab your family, and head to Spain for an unforgettable vacation. You won’t be disappointed!